Sunday, 5 April 2015

Reflection CPTR 100-08


My Reflection

Having minimal experience in the use of the computer I enquired about online courses I signed up got accepted and was then introduced to this course ‘Computer tools for nurses’.   
            With this came terms associated with this course such as threaded discussion and netiquette, followed by a system identifying my learning style which was greatly appreciated.  Subsequently the introduction to this specialty in nursing called Nursing Informatics brought significant awareness into this scope of practice. Learning the different classifications of computers, the differentiation of hardware and software was truly implausible.

The information provided by the lecturer was greatly valued and peeked my interest as I’m finding this course very interesting however at this time even though a lot of information has been given my true appreciation for this will come when I think when there is time to really do some deep learning and not surface as is happening now due to the rapidity to complete assignments in limited time.
I’m now grateful and feel empowered with the ability to identify reliable sources and check my work to avoid plagiarism which now gives my work validity and accuracy leading to more scholarly papers with credible references. I keep challenging myself though because I feel I have learned a lot and I know there are loads more to learn

5 comments:

  1. I can identify with you when you say computers were new to you, they are new to me as well and have sparked some interesting new knowledge that I never knew exist. with computer theirs so much more that meets the eye. assignments can be done in an extravagant way, information can be obtain from internet sources and the list goes on. Loushare in the mist of all the chaos we have definitely learnt . I also love the colour of your page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often said.........."time is of the essence" and that "time waits on no man "in a dynamic world where practices of today may not hold to tomorrow. The need to continue learning and appreciate change for the better must be entertained. Nursing Informatics; the future of nursing applications is now at our hands to embrace. One interesting fact that you mentioned is that "at this time even though a lot of information has been given my true appreciation for this will come when I think when there is time to really do some deep learning and not surface" to this I fully agree, as the need to fully grasp this course and in so doing produce quality work is overshadowed by deadlines or "order," nonetheless, we have to do what we must. Learning is not only for a period in the classroom but it's lifelong. Nursing Informatics is our future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loushare, I agree that the specialty or course (computer tools for nursing) has heightened significant awareness as it relates to the computer and its application.The course is indeed very captivating, but can also prove challenging as it relates to the completion of assignments within a timely period.
    Empowerment is indeed felt "with the ability to identify reliable sources" to avoid plagiarism". This knowledge allows one to be more selective about research and websites. I liked that you mentioned "the information provided by the lecturer... peeked.... interest". I can relate to this, because despite feeling overwhelmed at times, a sense of satisfaction is felt following research and completion of assignments. As we reflect on this course,let us bear in mind that "the race is not for the swift" (Ecclesiastes 9:11, KJV) but for those who make it to the end. Nice reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Loushare.
    I like the layout of your blog. It was well put together and effective in bringing across your points. I also agree with you that this course was informative as i too had limited computer skills and knowledge prior to this course. The world of computer technology is vast and this program has allowed insight into some of the many ways technology can benefit us professionally as well as individually.

    I think the knowledge of how to evaluate web resources will be of great value to us in the future. This aspect of the course has proven true to the fact that not all the information obtained via the internet is from valid, knowledgeable and credible sources. I too believe that we are now more equipped to navigate the world of computer technology as we continue on in our pursuit of a Bachelor Degree in Nursing.

    ReplyDelete